Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Load of Carrots

I had a plan for carrots.  Since they're a root crop I figured I could over-winter them in the garden instead of preserving them some other way.  I'd throw a bag of leaves or hay over them and all would be well.  Of course there was one little problem.  Something, or rather somethings were eating my carrots.  I pulled a nice big one to have a bite, and discovered little bugs all over it.  I pulled another one...same thing.  I quickly realized that if I wanted to rescue my carrots I was going to have to pull them all up.  Bah, humbug. 

Now I'm looking at other ways to store them.  Many online recommendations include damp sand and a cool basement.  I suppose that's something I can handle on Saturday morning.  I've been thinking about that method for my potatoes too.  I think we did better with carrots than with potatoes this year (although I haven't weighed the carrots yet), but they will both need an easy storage method.

I have a feeling this may be the last crop I get from my garden this year.  I'd hoped to have enough beans to put aside some beans for winter, but I started a little late.  The brussel sprouts didn't sprout, the cabbage is about 2 leaves worth of plant, and the cauliflower was completely demolished by aphids.  I don't much like kale, turnips, or parsnips, so I didn't  plant any this year.  What's the point if you don't want to eat it?

So my winter planning continues...slowly.  At the rate I'm going I might last a couple of weeks without shopping, maybe.  But no worries, this is nothing that a trip to the farmer's market or the grocery store can't solve, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment